Naviga




virtual Museum

Welcome to the Ministry of Agriculture, an actual "museum", where many works of art, some of those partly unknown, are kept and are to be enhanced, as well as the history and the role of the Ministry within Italian agriculture, especially in the National post-unification period. The project, planned and coordinated by the National Historical Library of Agriculture, offers at the moment only some photographic galleries but it will be enriched over time, by any contribution which will be given to the library both from inside and outside the Ministry. One of the goals of the library new management is, in fact, the enhancement of the agricultural history and culture of our Country in order to renovate the curiosity and the interest of people towards agriculture that's to say: safeguard and good use of territory, landscape protection, quality food production, respect towards the environment which our mental and physical health depend on.
The management particularly tanks our colleagues Roberto Bianchini, Stefano Federiconi and Antonio Moro, for their precious and friendly collaboration.

Foto Ministero.

The palace of agriculture, in Via XX Settembre, saw the first foundation stone laid down on June 1908, at the request of Cocco Ortu, Minister of Agriculture at the time, at the presence of King Vittorio Emanuele III. The construction work continued until 1914. The palace, conceived according to criteria of functionality over those of representation, still results well-integrated into the urban-architectural context of the area, tank to the simplicity and rigor of its lines and to the functionality of its spaces. Inside, the visitor will be surprised to discover many valuable works by artist from every part of Italy. Paintings, frescos, stained-glass windows, wrought-iron decorations, works from different epochs testify the value that art has always given to agriculture, remembering, more than ever, the importance of the relationship between man and land.
Caption text of the photographs of this album by Angela Cipriani, fronm the volume "Il Palazzo dell'Agricoltura", 1982, Editalia, Edizioni d'Italia S.p.A.

 
Foto.

The Library was born in 1860, in Turin, immediately after the founding of the Ministry of Agriculture, Industry and Commerce. Conceived at the time as a library "of service" for the emplyees of the Ministry, in 1871, after the taking of Rome, it found a new home at the Palace of the Printing Works (Palazzo della Stamperia) where, thanks to scholars and men of culture, amongst whom were Ministers and administrative directors, it opened to the public, notably enriching its own book collection.

 
Foto.

The Library counts among its treasures also an important and valuable collection of antiquities consisting of about 100 works from the 16th century "cinquecentine", unfortunately not in original binding, but preserved in 18th century parchment. There are many volumes produced by the Papal State; among French works must be brought to mind the complete work collection of the Abbot De Malby (1795). The 18th century works number altogether to around a thousand, while those ascribable to earlier centuries number more than 200

 
Foto.

The library also preserves a large and precious cartographic heritage for the study of land as well as the complete collection of the Agrarian Land Register, which allows for analysis of agricultural production and provides worthwhile information on the availability of foodstuff.

 
Foto.

Reproduction of some lithographs of local vine varieties, contained in the large and precious library collection.

 
Foto.

The historical photographic collection kept in the National Historical Library of Agriculture consists of about 2.500 black and white prints, showing country life, connected to the various aspects of Italian rural nature.

 
torna all'inizio del contenuto